Sunday, January 22, 2012

My how quickly things change

Before I had a child I thought I had it all figured out about parenting.  When I had a child I would try to limit his or her use of the pacifier.  I would occupy their day with reading books, playing on the floor and patty-cake games. My child would never have a fit in public.  I wouldn't put them in a bouncer, or lay them on a toy alone for a few minutes, and I would NEVER, EVER put let them watch TV.

Once I became a mother, things quickly changed.   I've realized that the pacifier can be lifesaver! That while I treasure my playtime with my daughter, 12 hours of it a day can make someone go crazy.  Sometimes you just need a little mommy time, to sit and read, crochet or blog. ;-)  I learned that you can't, no matter how hard you try, control when or where a baby has a crying fit.  I also learned that kids love to play in bouncers and it doesn't make you a bad mom if you let them play in it while you to some chores, because guess what, if you don't you'll be living in a dirty house with no clean clothes to wear.  And the big one...I learned that at times where nothing else is working, Mickey Mouse Club House is literally a saving grace!  I know...*gasp* my daughter has watched some TV.

But guess what, I don't think this makes me a bad mom.  My daughter is happy.  She is always taken care of.  She is loved more than anything, and she loves right back, after all aren't these the things that are important.

I vow now, to never judge a mom about something she does with her child without knowing her circumstances.

1 comment:

  1. Thumbs up! A little tv or bouncer time won't hurt a baby and it will keep you sane too!

    ReplyDelete